Home Remedies to treat Anemia in Toddlers
By : Baby Destination Editor
Anemia in toddlers is normal and one should not worry too much as it can be treated at home by eating the right amount of fruits and vegetables. So, what is Anemia? Anemia is a condition where the body produces insufficient red blood cells which are needed to bring oxygen to body tissues. Around 20% of the kids are prone to have anemia at some point of their life.
This may interest you- How to Cure Diarrhea in Babies
Causes of anemia in kids
Anemia is caused due to deficiency of iron in the body. The body can become iron deficient due to various reasons such as:
- Insufficient iron in the diet
- Poor absorption of iron
- Blood loss which is common because of anemia.
- Periods of rapid growth
Iron deficiency is characterized by the following symptoms:
- Pale Skin, hands or lips
- Sleepiness or fatigue
- Fast heart beat
- Not wanting to eat
Anemia is caused because of iron deficiency 99% of the time. This starts when kids start eating solid foods and cow milk is introduced in their diet. The easiest solution which parents will find is to give iron supplements to the kids. But, it is not recommended for young toddlers. Apart from that, parents can start with iron rich pureed fruits, meats and vegetables. In addition, one should add iron-fortified baby cereal mixed with breast milk or formula once the child is above 6 months of age. You must consult your pediatrician before going ahead with this.
You may also like- Home Remedies For Cough and Cold
Importance of Iron for toddlers
Iron is crucial for babies and a developing fetus gets iron from the mother. They receive it from the mother during the 3rd trimester. It is the most important carrier of oxygen. The iron in our body is found in hemoglobin. There is enough iron for the baby until they are 6 months old. After that they will need other ways to add iron to their body.
Cow milk is low in iron and can actually prevent iron from being absorbed from the diet.
Below are some Home Remedies through which iron can be given to toddlers:
- Give Apple-Beetroot Juice: Apple is loaded with iron and various other friendly components. Beetroot, on the other hand, has high amounts of folic acid and high quantities of potassium and fiber. In order to give to the toddler, prepare apple and beetroot juice and add some honey for extra flavor to boost iron absorption. Give this juice to the infant at least twice a day – 2 teaspoons are also enough.
- Make your baby eat Pomegranate: It is known as a super fruit which has many benefits. It is loaded with fiber, carbohydrates, fats, proteins, and sugar. It is an excellent source of calcium and iron. It increases the count of hemoglobin and supports healthy blood flow. Give your baby pomegranate juice on an empty stomach.
- Include Tomatoes in your baby’s diet: It is not sufficient to have iron but it is important to absorb iron as well. Tomatoes help in the absorption of iron. Infants can be given normal tomato juice or in the form of soups.
- Give Parsley: It is one of the most popular herbs in the world and it is loaded with folic acid. Parsley provides 5.5 mg of iron per 100 gm. Infants can have it in the form of juice and soups.
Want to share your mommy experience with other moms through words or images? Become a part of the Moms United community. Click here and we will get in touch with you
Image Source: Google