Benefits of Turmeric| Pregnancy and Beyond
By : Baby Destination Editor
Turmeric is a traditional Indian spice which is known for its medicinal and therapeutic properties. This bitter tasting spice is used in most of our Indian recipes. Turmeric has many health benefits which also cures complex health diseases.
But did you know that it is also very beneficial during pregnancy?
You may also like: Will Drinking Ghee in Pregnancy ensure Normal delivery?
Turmeric milk has various health benefits for an expecting mother. A pinch of turmeric can be beneficial for both baby and the mother. Here are the Health Benefits of Turmeric during Pregnancy:
- Cures Joint Pain: It helps to treat joint pains or swelling which troubles pregnant women.
- Helps prevent Constipation: The problem of hemorrhoids is common during pregnancy. Turmeric milk helps to cure such digestive issues and thus helps to prevent constipation.
- Improves Immunity: Turmeric milk has amazing antioxidant properties. This helps expecting mothers to stay away from harmful infections. The anti-bacterial properties of turmeric help to prevent bacterial infections in pregnant women.
- Relieves Cough and Cold: Turmeric milk is very effective in healing a sore throat during pregnancy. You don’t need to take prescription drugs. Just use this tried and tested home remedy to cure your runny nose.
- Helps to sleep well: A glass of warm milk one hour before sleeping helps to sleep well. It helps to release stress and induce sleep.
Also read: – Essential Nutrients required during Pregnancy
Unlike various western countries, pregnant women in India never eliminate turmeric from their diet but as they say, ‘Excess of everything is bad’; consuming a huge quantity of turmeric is also harmful during pregnancy.
Consuming turmeric in high doses during pregnancy can induce early labor and/or a miscarriage. It may also lead to certain complications and abnormalities in the growing fetus.
Most gynecologists do not advise herbal supplements during pregnancy and so one must not consume the commercially available turmeric supplements since they can affect the pregnancy adversely.
Turmeric not only works well for your baby but also for your skin. Here are some beauty health benefits to using during pregnancy:
- Helps prevent stretch marks – Mix turmeric and curd into a paste and apply on your stomach 15 minutes before bath. A regular routine of this will prevent ugly stretch marks. You can use malai and turmeric after a bath as well and wipe off with a warm and moist towel.
- Helps fade dark patches and pigmentation– Having pigmentation and dark patches is normal in pregnancy. Blend cucumber, lemon juice, and turmeric powder and make a paste. Apply this on the dark patch and leave for 20 minutes before washing off.
- Helps cure acne and pimples – Many pregnant women face hormonal changes during pregnancy which can cause acne. Even if you have not suffered acne during teens it might develop during pregnancy. Certain OTC creams and ointments can help, but herbal remedies are considered the safest option. The anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties of turmeric help to cure acne effectively. Apply a paste of turmeric on your acne and leave it for 20 minutes. Turmeric might leave a yellow tinge which can be removed using lemon juice. If you can leave turmeric paste overnight it will have better effects on the pimples. Drinking turmeric can help to detoxify the body and give a clear complexion.
Want to share your mommy experience with other moms through words or images? Become a part of the Moms United community. Click here and we will get in touch with you
Image Source: Google